Every year many locals participate in numerous USWTMC classes facilitated by rank and file Worker-Trainers. When workers are training workers great things can happen. The “success stories” generated from a training provide examples of what can be accomplished using a “union” approach to health and safety. We are compiling these stories as a resource on the USWTMC website.
A success story captures the positive impact USW training has had on your local, the health and wellbeing of the membership, and describes how this success was accomplished. Sharing your success also provides a resource for other Locals to utilize in their efforts to make their workplace safer.
Examples of a success story may include:
• Eliminating a hazard or number of hazards at your site
• Barriers faced and overcome by your Local Committee on safety issues
• How your committee became stronger
• Effects on solidarity and participation within your Local
• Contract language you were able to negotiate as a result of your training
• A Behavior Based program was changed to focus on the hazards rather than people
• You designed a worker led Near Miss program and can list how these situations got corrected
The list above is just a few examples of a success story, there are many more.
Do you have a success story that you would like to share from your Local?
To submit your success story, send an email to me, Steve Doherty, at email@example.com.
Include “success story” and your District/Local number in the subject line.
Provide your name, contact information, and attach your story in Word, PDF or in the body of the email.
To view success stories click here.
To view a class catalog click here.